Sunday, June 17, 2012

Afterall, its him!


As you walked into the hospital
To hold your bundle of joy,
What did you think dad?
What did u dream that day?

Do you remember, when carrying
a plump bag on two tiny shoulders
I had dragged my feet
to get home one day?

Its you, I had looked for
As I had entered,
To inform you about the big race
Your daughter had just lost.

I was crestfallen to
See you not bothered.
But you had your mind
On something much better.

The day I had cheated at school
& was caught by my teacher & complained to you.
I was scared & ashamed, to be heard or seen,
Because of the disgrace that I had been.

I lowered my eyes &
broke in a sweat.
You just said- ‘I have high dreams for you
This is not what I expect.’

I stood there dumbfound
I had feared you’d admonish
But this is not what I deserved
I expected to be punished.

And a few years down the line,
I had waited impatiently for you
To return from office, to hand you
my certificate, beaming with joy.

You planted a kiss on my forehead
& u patted my back.
I had felt like an Oscar winner
That night, amidst thunderous claps!

You took a long look
& with pride filled eyes u said,
‘You’ll go a long way, my girl
You’ll go higher some day.’

And that day when on hearing noises
Into the kitchen I ran,
To see you & mother fight,
I cried to having seen such a sight.

The very next morning I was astonished
To see you hug mom & say ‘sorry’
& I knew I wanted someone like u father,
In my own love story.

As you’ll walk me down the aisle some day
and place my hand in another’s,
You’ll still be my favourite hero, dad,
You’ll always be my first love.

7 comments:

  1. Such a sweet poem...it's great to have a father that sensitive & caring..God bless our parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank u, Trisha..:)
      Loved reading ur posts as well, beautiful writings..!

      Delete
  3. good work....sm lines were truly heart touchin and amazin..sm tech suggestions I wud like 2 gv bt sm other time.....now is time to say cheers 2 our parents and especially ur Dad 4 whom u crafted this marvel !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bhaiya..:)
      Would definitely like to hear ur feedback on this.

      Delete
  4. I don't know how I missed this one. Poems where words don't get in the way of emotions are my favourite. And this one fits the bill perfectly. Well done Raul!

    I don't know if you wrote it for your own dad, but I just hope it wasn't written on "Father 's Day". That would take away some of the sheen for me.

    ReplyDelete